Monday 11 July 2016

Yet to Discover...

People say that you can find a bit of the writer’s story in whatever he writes. A poem reflects what the poet feels. Many writers, have, in fact admitted to this. For instance, J.K Rowling, the author of the famous Harry Potter series said, in an interview that the story was greatly influenced by her hardships. Characters died when she was angry or in great grief, the dementors -one of the foulest creatures on Earth, who glory in decay and despair, drain hope and happiness from the air around them- were, to quote her, "based on her experience of depression".

I feel that it is quite easy to write about things we have felt, as compared to things we’re yet to discover.  I therefore think that a writer’s true test lies, not in making the reader feel what they have felt, but to take readers to places where the author has never been. Many of the readers might have been there already, many might have not. To engulf those who have, in his/her version, to make the undiscovered feel familiar, here lies the author’s trial. If your work keeps your secret, doesn’t let anyone know that what you’ve written is purely imagination, you know you’ve succeeded. 

That is what I’m going to try to do today. I’m 15 and most of the fifteen year olds I know write brilliantly, about stuff you’d expect, without a doubt, from teenagers. Love and broken hearts, backstabbing and fights, friends and crushes, well, isn’t that what we think teenage is all about? I have a wee bit different views on this, though I’ll have plenty of time to write about them later. So today, I’m going to try to write something, something I have never tried to write before, something that I’m yet to discover and something that I’m going to have to trust, my reading and my imagination will do justice to.
So here it is:

...

Don’t let me go, he screams
But words fail him
He is broken inside
But tears fail him

He takes a step back
Tries to turn around 
And walk away,

But I hold his hand in mine
I don’t let him go
"I heard you scream",
"I saw your tears", I say
"But I wasn’t the one walking away.

I scream, but this time,
Words fail me.
I’m broken inside,
But tears now, fail me.

"I know" he says,
And I know he heard my scream
I know he saw the tears, he says
"You’re all I need to stay"
Then, he holds my hand in his
Doesn’t, this time, walk away
And now, I know
He’ll never let me go.




11 comments:

  1. Deep meaning..it was amazing..tht poem meant everything.. true.. N fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The poem was amazing ekta!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here you are with one more thing that is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. A writer's ultimate gift is the freedom to write what she feels, there are no shoulds or musts. What the reader comprehends, is his own responsibility. Tell me one thing -while reading any of the HP series did you think of JKR's state of mind ? I Guess you read & understood with ur own perspective. Its a challenging task to give shape to all that's Going on in your mind - without bothering about what people read & say. I wish you the Freedom to express & the courage to guard the freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks a lot...and about HarryPotter, well I think I was too preoccupied with the story to pay much attention to anything else though I did wonder about JK Rowling later. In fact, she shares a lot of that on pottermore.

      Delete
    2. Exactly my point dear ! We can't control what the reader feels when he reads. Depends on what mood he is in again. I believe as a writer, u touch a soul when u have written ur heart out. There wl b times when one is confronted with ' what wl my ppl think ? Or society thinks ? ' Then there's the voice inside u that's desperate to come down on screen / paper. Those r d times u rely on ur judgement.

      Delete